     Re: SQL Based Monitoring System

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 11:05:21AM -0400, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:
>Think about this... what if...
>
>NetSaint, or NOCOL, or whatever monitoring package you used... was
>converted to store ALL events in SQL.

Sounds lovely. (Being careful what you mean by "events" - I'd
have two separate lots, logged state changes (nocol's log/* files)
and current-status (the data/*-status files).)

>i'm interested in developing something like this...i have the database and
>perl experience to do it, but a little short on the 'C' side.  if some of
>you would be interested in either porting nocol to something like this or
>writing something completely separate, please let me know.

Well, I'm certainly interested, and my C is reasonable though not
great. I'd like ideally to have a common top-end (replacing the
core bits of nocol, or bin/netsaint) which would serve as an interface
layer between the monitors (ideally we could talk to nocol monitors,
netsaint monitors, bb, or whatever else we felt like) and the database.
Separate from that would be the netconsole-equivalent, with all the
select-froms...

Roger

--
Roger Burton West                                    roger@firedrake.org