     Re: outage note//scheduled outage

>From the positive and negative feed back that I have recieved so far, I
was going to add the following features to 'netconsole':

1. read the updates file (similar to the web interface) and hide the
   event or display the status line. This is doable fairly easily.
   The only problem is the real-estate on the 80 char screen.

   I dont want to add authentication etc. into the curses interface and
   make it overly complicated, hence editing the 'updates' file will still
   have to be using an external editor or else from the Web interface.

2. A lot of folks like the web interface, so I dont see a need to replace
   it with a X or tcl interface and achieve the same 'gui' look.

3. I was going to add a 'dependency' filter to netconsole:

   List all the variables at the various layers i.e.

	NewsPort, SMTPport, etc. depend on ICMP

   so if ICMP goes down, then the other variables are expected to go down
   and need not display them.

   Similarly, build a device dependency:

	NewsServer depends on RouterA depends on RouterB

   Hence, if routerB goes dead, the other devices behind it are expected
   to go down also so DONT display them if they also go down.

   A sort of a 'root-cause' filter.

   Note that this is for *display* purposes only- all noclogd logging will
   still continue as is.

   The problem is finding a good way to write all these dependency rules
   without expecting everyone to be a C programmer ?

	-vikas