     Re: [snips-users] Etherload in SNIPS v1.1

if you are running it as the root user it should work, if you have setup an
alternate user, that user will have to be put in the sys group, and the
permissions changed on the device file, in order to keep access restricted.

chmod g+rw /devices/pseudo/clone at 0:hme

This should then allow the running user to use the "snoop -P" command, and
also hopefully etherload to work..

HTH

Steve

At 09:49 05/12/01 -0500, R. Richard Hirtler wrote:
>I am receiving the following error whenever I attempt to run etherload:
>
>	etherload: This is a SNIPS version
>   	etherload- Reading global config file /opt/snips/etc/snips.conf
>   	(etherload).. locked pid-file, started new process (pid=2067)
>   	etherload: /dev/hme: Permission denied
>   	etherload: removing data, pid file.... Done
>
>Here is the portion of the config file which deals with the interfaces:
>
>	#
>	device hme0
>	bw      30  50  70
>	pps     500 1000 1500
>
>	#
>	device hme1
>	bw      30  50  70
>	pps     500 1000 1500
>
>What is wrong with this setup?  Is my configuration incorrect, or does
>something need to be done at the OS level (Solaris 8) to allow access to
>the device (/dev/hme)?
>
>TIA,
>
>Rick

Steve Foster