     Re: anyone out there

> $100,000?! Whoa, thats HUGE. Must be some grate software, but I really bet
> its not something some good OSS muscle couldnt beat!

Netcool is fully integratable with all the leading OSS systems =) it even
has a gateway for popular apps such as remedy, clarify, oracle, etc.

> Well, I dont mind nocol rightnow, getting more familiar with it these
> days. Have been looking around at a few things, not sure if we want
> to switch. With 3 people on call (we cant guarantee our pages get thru
> so we have to page 3 people), our pages are getting slow when there's
> 6 pages for one single event (DSL line goes down or something).

NOCOL is great, but not very scalable... i like netcool in the fact that
you can make it show you as much..or as little information as you want...
if a trunc goes down, you can make it display only that trunc rather than
all the customers behind it, etc.  It also records the number of times the
event occured, so if it flops, you can make it take action only if it
flops more than x times, etc.  it's mostly SQL based.

> We're thinking of making some extremely object oriented network pluggable
> (ooh buzwords) type network monitor Some Day When We Get Some Time. I know
> this aint gonna happen, so it would be easier to modify something that
> already exits. For us we have the advantage of Nocol being familiar to us
> but Im wondering if there's something else outthere that is that much
> further ahead in what we want to ad to it.

An object-oriented NOCOL sounds like a real neat idea..perhaps it could be
the next part of NOCOL..using perl packages on the PERL side, and oop on
the C/C++ side.  Making it SQL based would allow us to do some amazing
things with it.  If vikas is interested in coming out with a new version,
I'd recommend powering it off of MySQL perhaps with an oracle driver
extension for the more savvy networks.

> Really, I spose one thing that would help majorly is a paging scheduler,
> as well as a criticality filter. The crit filter would sit before
> the paging scheduler and just figure out if at 3am this "quake server 2 down!"
> is really importan enuf to wake people up for, or if its something that
> can wait for a reminder page some hours later. As well, reminder pages for
> crit things when it hasnt been fixed STILL, 30 min later after the original
> critical would be good. For super important stuff, sending out the same
> page twice would be a good ability as well due to the nature of our paging
> network that we use, as well as the impenetrability of the subway system. ;)

This sounds like a bunch of problems that would be solved if NOCOL was
ported to SQL.  Rather than using binary files, it'd be very easy to write
some (pardon the expression) scripts to query for all kinds of data fields
and generate pages, etc.

> Just wondering what the existing state of all this is now. I know this is
> a list specifically for nocol, but I dont know if there is a good general
> forum for system monitoring tools that I should be on (please do tell).
>
> Thanks!

this could open up quota a can of worms if the right people listened =)
could take NOCOL/SNIPS to a new level.