     Re: outage note//scheduled outage

if this were perl, the logic would be to have a hash lets say %depend
where %depend{routera's object} = routerb's object and
      %depend{news object} = routera's object

so if

$stats{news's object} = 0 then don't display it if
$status{$depend{routera's object}}=0

it doesn't matter if router a updates first or not, b/c when this routine
sees that router a's status is down, regardless of whether or not it's
being displayed (which we pay no attention to here), it will not display
it.

 On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Rick Beebe wrote:

> >3. I was going to add a 'dependency' filter to netconsole:
>
> >   List all the variables at the various layers i.e.
>
> >	NewsPort, SMTPport, etc. depend on ICMP
>
> >   so if ICMP goes down, then the other variables are expected to go down
> >   and need not display them.
>
> >   Similarly, build a device dependency:
>
> >	NewsServer depends on RouterA depends on RouterB
>
> I've been attempting to work out a scheme for this but they seem to quickly
> get complicated beyond programmability. The above rules work but they're
> not (imho) flexible enough. The bottom one, for example breaks as soon as
> they move my office between RouterA and RouterB. Also, I can't create a
> list and sent it to my counterparts on another part of campus. And I'd
> rather say
>
> RouterA depends on RouterB
> NewsServer depends on RouterA
>
> and have the sytsem figure out that if RouterB goes down that also affects
> the NewsServer.
>
> Ideally, you need to be able to create a position-neutral logical map which
> is, of course, easily updatable. Any good neural net programmers out there?
>
> Granted, we have a fairly large, way too dynamic network. Perhaps others
> have an easier time of it.
>
>   _______________________________________________________________________
>
>     Rick Beebe                                           (203) 785-4566
>     Network Engineering Manager                     FAX: (203) 737-4037
>     ITS-Med Technology Operations                Richard.Beebe@yale.edu
>     Yale University School of Medicine
>     P.O. Box 208089, New Haven, CT 06520-8089

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Senior Systems Administrator
Netrail, Inc.