     Re: anyone out there

We haven't had similar problems as you're talking about.  who did you
use as an integrator?  Things seem to be working just great for us, and I
know the folks at mindspring down the street are pretty happy with it...

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Roger Burton West
wrote:

> On or about Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 03:06:43PM -0400, Jonathan A. Zdziarski typed:
> >lots of folks have switched to the commercial software 'netcool' which
> >runs about $100,000 or so.  it's much nicer, but obviously nocol has its
> >own value in being free.
>
> "Much nicer" is an interesting way of putting it. "A total waste of
> money" would be more accurate - the probes don't work, all the IP-
> based probes _insist on_ DNS rather than IP numbers - so useful if
> your nameserver falls over, all of a sudden all the probes fail -
> and you need a high-end system to run it on.
>
> I've looked at a lot of different monitoring packages, and they're
> all horribly expensive (or freeware). I haven't yet seen one that
> worked as well as NOCOL.
>
> >> Has anyone got nocol doing hierarchical conditions, so that when a link
> >> is down you dont also get paged with SMTP, Web, Pop, Imap, Ftp and everything
> >> else being down too?
>
> No... but on the other hand I have got a once-every-five-minutes cron
> job that tells me all the system status changes in that time.
>
> Roger
>
> --
> Roger Burton West                                    roger@firedrake.org
>                       ACTING IN A PRIVATE CAPACITY
> Network Operations Centre Team Leader                  Direct Connection

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Sr. Systems Administrator
Netrail, inc.