     Re: portmon too slow

Sequential forked processing of monitors would be a "Good Thing" (tm),
with the following basis:

1.) Proper care taken not to throttle the throughput OUT of the machine.

2.) Proper care taken not to fork 100 processes.

Given this, there should be a custom variable specified in each conf file
along with the time cycle variable for max amount of child processes
fork'd. However, this would add a bit of overhead to each daemon, checking
to make sure that there was enough memory to fork, etc. Could the noclogd
or another daemon control process forking for all the monitors in general?
Some ideas to kick around....

=-= Nathan

Nathan Clemons
Associate Systems Engineer
WinStar iCi
Broadband Services
Great Woods Office Park 800 South Main St. Mansfield, MA  02048
nclemons@winstar.com  	www.winstar.com 	(v) 800-234-0002 ext.1109
   nathan@ici.net	  www.ici.net		(f) 508-261-0430