     [nocol-users] Installing Nocol 4.2.1

Hello folks:

This is my first posting to this newsgroup. I am attempting to install
Nocol 4.2.1 to replace a very early version of Nocol that my predecessor
installed, but which has never been reliable.

I cannot figure out if I did the installation correctly. I am trying to
use the netconsole command as per the installation directions to monitor a
few hosts, but I do not understand the meaning of the information it
displays. What I did was copy over the /nocol/etc config files from the
older copy of Nocol into the new copy. Unfortunately, the man page for
netconsole is not helpful because the manage page appears to have so many
run on sentences and other grammatical errors that I can't make head or
tails out of it.

I copied several config files over. The biggest file is ippingmon-confg
which I assume just defines which systems are to be checked via the TCP/IP
ping command, but I can't see to get that to work.  When one of the
systems on this list is shut down, we don't receive any notification.
Here's a copy of that file:

#
# Unix hosts
#
thunder 155.247.166.100
nimbus 155.247.166.101
conman 155.247.166.10
cronkite 155.247.166.105
www 155.247.166.66
www-oll 155.247.166.68
euclid 155.247.28.2
chaos 155.247.28.104
maya 155.247.28.47
hialeah 155.247.27.224
www-oll 155.247.166.68
euclid 155.247.28.2
chaos 155.247.28.104
maya 155.247.28.47
hialeah 155.247.27.224
listserv 155.247.27.108
echo    155.247.27.70
scotty 155.247.27.76
shelob 155.247.166.75

I have another file called chkhttpd-confg that's supposed to list
the http servers we want to monitor. That file looks like:

WWW     http://www.ocis.temple.edu
OLL     http://www.oll.temple.edu
#
Thunder http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu
Nimbus  http://nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Astro   http://astro.ocis.temple.edu
Shelob  http://shelob.temple.edu
#
#Fatman http://fatman.ocis.temple.edu
#
Euclid  http://euclid.math.temple.edu
Chaos   http://chaos.math.temple.edu
Maya    http://maya.math.temple.edu/~cow
#
Listserv        http://listserv.ocis.temple.edu

But the netconsole command only displays a few of the hosts that are
referenced in these files. I also don't understand what the information in
the Value column means. As near as I can gather, a "1" in this column
means the system is up. Does anyone know and how can I get the netconsole
command to show all the systems that are configured to be monitored?

As it is, this is all I get out of using "netconsole -l 4":