     Re: [snips-users] How do I get rid of ICMP-RTT ?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:17:32AM +0800, Kelvin Ng Chee Hoong wrote:
> Hi ;
>     I have installed SNIPs ver 1.1 onto my FreeBSD machine . It is up and
> running . :-)
> However , I have configured ippingmon-conf to monitor our router and LAN
> switch devices . I notice that when I run ippinmon program , it always
> shows me duplicate of  ping per device - ICMP-ping=5 & ICMP-RTT=0 .
>      I am interested to use ICMP-ping rather that ICMP-RTT . How do I get
> rid of ICMP-RTT  ?  Please advise .

My understanding of this is that RTT is Round Trip Time.  It's to catch
those times that your next hop, for instance, is returning ICMP (so "is
up" as far as the network's concerned) but its response time is some
time that you'd agree was unreasonable (like 5000ms).

Just my $0.02...
Russell

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut com

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
 democracy - but that could change."                    -- VP Dan Quayle