     Re: Nocol-4.2.2beta4

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 10:37:03AM -0500, Vikas Aggarwal wrote:

> > So I simply use the old one instead.
>
> Hmm, this was the program I had spent most effort on. Can yu give me
> some more details? How many hosts are you monitoring in parallel and on
> what OS are you running this? Can you try running with fewer 'parallel'
> connections (how about 2) and tell me what error you get?

Well - the number of hosts is actually something around 25. Most of
them on the ftp- http- and smtp-Port. I have 32 different Host-Lines
in the config-file :-)

the portmon is running on a machine which has Solaris 2.6, most of
the tested machines are running Solaris 7.

But to bring down the parallel connections seems to be the one I had
to use - what is the default if you don't tell the config-file about
it? I think it's 64 and this is far too much then.

I just decreased to 8 and then to four connections - the only part
which has problems sometimes is the smtp-port - both machines which
can not be parsed correct are asked on the smtp-port with HELO
portmon.test and should return a 250-answer (which they do if I try
from the same user and machine nocol is running on).

> > nocol@xlink58% (libdebug) eventlog send() error: (libdebug) eventlog
> > send() error: newSocket() connect failed: Bad file number
> > (libdebug) eventlog send() error: newSocket() connect failed: Bad
> > file number
> > (libdebug) eventlog send() error: (libdebug) eventlog send() error:
> > (libdebug) eventlog send() error: (libdebug) eventlog send() error:
> > (libdebug) eventlog send() error:
> >
> > which is written on the tty I called hostmon from.
>
> The send() is writing to noclogd (is it running?) and the 'newSocket()'
> is an error trying to connect to the daemon on hostmon-client.

Hmm.

nocol@xlink58% ps -ef|grep noclog
   nocol   703     1  0   Nov 29 ?        0:06
   /usr/local/nocol-4.2.2beta4/bin/noclogd

nocol@xlink58% ./hostmon
9885
nocol@xlink58% (libdebug) eventlog send() error: (libdebug) eventlog
send() error: newSocket() connect failed: Bad file number
(libdebug) eventlog send() error: newSocket() connect failed: Bad
file number

So as far as I can see, noclogd is running...

> I will look at these. Can you tell me if hostmon events are being
> logged?

nocol@xlink58% pwd
/usr/local/nocol-4.2.2beta4/logs

nocol@xlink58% grep -c hostmon *
critical:101
error:3555
info:12522
old:0
status:9855
warning:9855

yes, I would say they are :-) even in the right time:

nocol@xlink58% date
Thu Dec  2 21:33:16 MET 1999
nocol@xlink58% tail info
Thu Dec  2 21:31:00 1999 [hostmon]: SITE dbhost.skydsl.d - VAR
PageOut 72 2000 po LEVEL Info LOGLEVEL Info NOCOP up
Thu Dec  2 21:31:00 1999 [hostmon]: SITE dbhost.skydsl.d - VAR
SwapIn 0 10 si LEVEL Info LOGLEVEL Info NOCOP up

Thank you in advance!

Ciao, Hanno
--
i.A. Hanno Wagner, Central Services          Xlink Internet Service GmbH
[X] rince@xlink.net    [X]   Tel: 0721/9652-211  [X]  Fax: 0721/9652-209