     Hostmon issues

Hello,

I've been working on nocol (4.2.2b2) for the past few weeks now, setting
up monitors and such.  I keep running into problems, though, this time
being a problem with hostmon.

I have noclogd set up to pipe its messages to a paging script.  What
happens is that noclog constantly reports that machines haven't posted any
HostMonData.  If I check netconsole, everything is hunky-dory, or at least
as good as it gets.  Hostmon is set to sleep for 15 minutes.
Hostmon-client runs every 5 minutes.

Also, I previously described problems where hostmon would either return
one value for all the filesystems I wanted to monitor, or it would monitor
the same group of variables across all the servers, returning a bunch of
uninit values.  Somebody previously replied and said that they devised a
scheme whereby they look for the DFspace_%used[0-9][0-9] variables, which
are dynamically assigned to different FS's.

I modified the code so that hostmon-client would return such variables;
thanks for the tip.  Although I get less uninit variables, I still get
some, which is a bother.  Has anyone found how to further granularize the
search for variables so that I can search for DF_space_%used03 on machine
X, while not on machine Y?

Another issue is that I keep running into problems where portmon
erroneously reports that hosts or services are down.  I've found that
jumbling entries in the portmon-confg file helps, but doesn't entirely fix
the problem.  Why would this happen?  Are there any fixes known?

Finally, nocol-4.2.2beta3 doesn't compile on Solaris 2.6.  The SNMP
utilities complain about a bunch of undefined references.  I've since
given up on that issue because beta3 isn't official yet anyway.

-
  Greg Swallow -- Assistant System Administrator (whew!) -- Access Indiana
   "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.." - Tom Waits
  http://www.ai.org -- (800) 236-5446 -- (317) 233-2010 -- gswallow@ai.org