     Re: [nocol-users] Need to know more

 > From: Russell Van Tassell
 > Is this a Solaris machine, by chance?  (ie. I've seen the same thing on
 > my box(es) and have heard that others have seen the same, but no posted
 > solutions... yet)  It's a problem somewhere in hostmon, I think (from
 > memory, so don't shoot me)

That's probably one of *many* problems with hostmon.
For me, it's brittle like a potato chip under Sol, AIX
and Linux.  I can't even do
  while true; do
    telnet <hostmon_host> hostmon
    sleep 5
  done
without it crashing!

In other words, imo, using hostmon as a primary method
of notifiction about outages is unwise.

I suspect using hostmon with rsh comm and ssh might be
more stable.  Can anyone comment about this idea?

steve
Steve Rader
Systems and Network Manager
WiscNet--Internetworking for Wisconsin
rader@wiscnet.net
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `=:)'