     NOCOL Wishes... portmon

One of the things I think would be cool in portmon (other than possibly
splitting out news/nntp) would be the possibility of a "template" key-
word (ie. to cut down on file size).

So, instead of five entries that look very similiar to the following:

-- begin
HOST news-1	172.16.1.1   NNTPport 119    Critical
critical        space
info            expire
critical        Bad file number writing history file -- throttling
info            posting ok
info            no posting

-- end

The entire subseet of the file could be:

-- begin
# Format:
#   POLLINTERVAL  600
#   READTIMEOUT   30
#
#   TEMPLATE HOST-<name> <variable>  <port#> <failseverity> [send-string]
#   [maxseverity    response]
#
#   [maxseverity    response]
#
#

# News/NNTP Servers
TEMPLATE HOST-NEWS NNTPport 119 Critical
critical	space
info		expire
critical	Bad file number writing history file -- throttling
info		posting ok
info		no posting

HOST-NEWS news-1 172.16.1.1
HOST-NEWS news-1 172.16.1.2
HOST-NEWS news-1 172.16.1.3
HOST-NEWS news-1 172.16.1.4
HOST-NEWS news-1 172.16.1.5
-- end

I think this would shorten some config files by a rather large amount,
and possibly improve their readability.  (Unfortunately, I tend to hate
writing C -- so I guess this is part of a larger "wish list")

Russell

--
Russell M. Van Tassell                          Commercial Systems Corp.
russell@cscorp.com                               http://www.cscorp.com/

                                                     Ph: 1-888/COMM-SYS