     [snips-users] Proper procedure

Hi,

	Trying to finish writing a new monitor for myself, and I have
it 90% done. The final steps are updating the records, and reporting.
(This is using perl)

	I'm having the hardest time figuring out the proper procedure. I've
taken a look at some of the other monitors, and I just can't figure out
what the right way to go about it is.

	I load all the targets into a string, do what I need to do,
cycle through them....etc.

	So lets say after I clear the file, etc, I poll my first object.
Its fine. Ok, so I want to update the event I guess, right? I look at
update_event , and I pass it the index (which is the same for all records
here, this is a nsmon replacement so its the site name. The status/value
will go to "1,1". And the maxsev is "$E_CRITICAL".

	I get to the code where it says :

        if (!($nocop{$i} & $n_UP))                      # recent state change
        {
            $nocop{$i} = $nocop{$i} & ~($n_UP | $n_DOWN | $n_UNKNOWN) | $n_UP;
            $loglevel{$i} = $severity{$i} ;     # loglevel set to old level
            $severity{$i} = $E_INFO;
            &eventlog(&packevent($i)) ;         # log to noclogd daemon
        }

	ok, my question is where did it get the $nocop{$i} info? I don't see
anywhere where it gets it out of the file. Same thing for $severity{$i}.
Ok, so then it eventlogs, thats great.

	If its down, though, it :

    {
        local($oseverity) = $severity{$i} ;
        # escalate severity
        $severity{$i}= ($severity{$i} > $maxsev) ? ($severity{$i} - 1) : $maxsev
;

        $nocop{$i}= $nocop{$i} & ~($n_UP | $n_DOWN | $n_UNKNOWN) | $n_DOWN;

        if ($oseverity != $severity{$i}) # severity change
        {
            ($mon{$i},$day{$i},$hour{$i},$min{$i}) = &gettime ;
            # smaller severity is more severe... set  that as loglevel
            $loglevel{$i}= $severity{$i} < $oseverity ? $severity{$i}:$oseverity
;
            &eventlog(&packevent($i));
        }
    }

	same questions. Where is it getting severity? nocop? Ok, then it logs.
BUT, now, how do I update the data file?

	I looked at "writeevent", and all it is is :

sub writeevent {
    local($fd, $index) = @_ ;   # open file descriptor & index
    local($event) = &packevent($index);
    print $fd $event ;
}

	How does it know which of the records to log to?

	Then I look at something like novellmon, which looks like it
keeps everything in an array, does all its tests, setting all sorts of
globals depending on the item. When done it again cycles and does all
the updates, again using previously set globals. Then when thats done,
it opens the data file and just dumps everything out to it.

	Is that really how things should be done? Globals hanging out
all over the place?

		Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.