     Re: [snips-users] Notifier vs sniplogd question

Hi Mark,

almost right. I use snips 1.1 - but I noticed the following to apply.
The snipslogd notifies everything that has something to do with the event you configured to trigger the execution of external script.

This means - the snipslogd is going to notify: info <-> critical, warning <-> critical, error <-> critical etc. It will notify events in both direction.

The snipslogd starts the notifier command using the "-" sign as argument, telling the notifier to handle STDINPUT only - the notifier script beeing started by cronjob does a timely preconfigured job and handles only the events that happened for a prespecified time, b.e. 1 hour.

Regarding on what the snipslog daemon does - I think, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, write the logs/* files, and if enabld the rrd-file data.

So - to make a long story short:
1. Notifier started by cron is notifying everything for a prespecified amount of
   time.
2. Notifier started by snipslogd handles only device-lines that are passed to it
   through snipslogd, enabling the user to have a more fine grained capability
   of monitoring special devicenames, e.g. company-critical customer b.e.

The only drawback I find using snips the way it comes out of he box is that it has to heavily be adapted to easily monitor about 2500 devices... Especialy the updates-file stuff should be rewritten - as it has a big problem in old snips aka. 1.0 and 1.1 (don't know higher version). The following should be done for both version: got the updates informations written to a database (done that).
Implement a locking mechanism for updates-writing (1.0) plus for genweb.cgi (in 1.1) to not generate web-pages during a monitor-reload - as it erases some entries while the log-file synchronization takes place.

Cheers

Joerg

Mark Ching wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've recently installed Snips 1.2beta2 (yesterday) I've configured a few monitors and have been trying to figure out how the notifier and snipslogd work together for notification of downed services
Could someone ensure my sanity and let me know that what I'm seeing/thinking is right?

So far this is what I understand.
Notifier.pl is the script that sends an email or page, but only when an error hits the critical level. Then sends every hour if configured. It doesn't send a notification when the service/machien/etc comes back.
snipslogd on the other hand more like a syslogd. It captures output on port 5354 and writes to log files configured in snipslogd.confg. And can be configured for piped commands.

Here is where I have gotten myself completely confused. Do the Notifier cronjob and syslogd piped command work mutually exclusive of each other?
So if you just want to know when things change state, then you should only use snipslogd?

Mark

--
Joerg Mertin                                 PSINet Europe
Business Process Automation Group Manager    Rue Fritz-Courvoisier 103