     Re: [snips-users] false/null alert

Has anyone completed additional debug on hostmon null alerts?

I too have found problems with hostmon similar to what Rusell reported
back
in March.  I have monitors based upon the hostmon script that I am
recycling.
The scripts give null information on reporting monitor, device and
variable.

Tue Jun 18 11:16:49 2002 []: DEVICE   VAR  1127 900  LEVEL Critical
LOGLEVEL Cri
tical STATE down old
Tue Jun 18 11:21:49 2002 []: DEVICE   VAR  298 900  LEVEL Info LOGLEVEL
Critical
 STATE up

Discussions locally suggested that there may be some interaction near
the polling time.  Dumping various datafiles reveals no exact match,
( ../bin/display_snips_datafile hostmon-output) but does indicate some
problems with 'unknown' state variables on startup.  The only place that
I see null device/agent are hostmon,snmpmon, and dhcpmon (recycled
hostmon).
The times are the same for all 3 monitors.  Could there be a race
condition,
or deadlock on resources common to all of the above?

Tim Peiffer	peiffer at umn edu