From: Ben Goodwin [mailto:BGoodwin at usdatacenters com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 9:31 AM
To: Ben Goodwin
Subject: Fwd: Re: [nocol-users] snips 1.0 notifier problem

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:57:17 -0400
To: "Ben Goodwin" <BGoodwin at usdatacenters com>,<          >
From: Subhendu Ghosh <sghosh at sghosh org>
Subject: Re: [nocol-users] snips 1.0 notifier problem

Redhat changed the format of the ping output in 7.1.  I caused a bunch of issues in netsaint as well.

-subhendu

At 01:32 PM 7/17/2001, Ben Goodwin wrote:
Hi!  I'm seeing all kinds of messages in my snips error log, so I decided to debug it a little bit.. and I found what appears to be data corruption .. I can't imagine that the raw data is corrupt, because the snipstv and web interface show it all correctly.. but the notifier is hosed.

inside processevents() I added the following lines right after "my %event = unpack_event($event);"

        my $key;
        foreach $key (keys %event) {
                print "$key: $event{$key}\n";
        }
and here's what I'm seeing:

eventtime: p
device_addr: 10.31.5.2
var_value: 5
var_threshold: 3
state: 1
device_subdev:
var_name: ICMP-ping
polltime: <80>
rating: 224
op:
loglevel: 4
device_name: nocol-gw.int
severity: 4
var_units: Pkts
id: ^A
sender: ippingmon
eventtime: °
device_addr: 10.31.5.2
var_value: 0
var_threshold: 100
state: 1
device_subdev:
var_name: ICMP-RTT
polltime: <80>
rating: 224
op:
loglevel: 4
device_name: nocol-gw.int
severity: 4
var_units: msecs
id: ^A
sender: ippingmon
etc ..

notice how some of the fields are fine, but others are totally bogus.

This is running on a RedHat 7.0 (fully-updated) system.  Perl is self-built version 5.6.1 - not the included 5.6.0.

Help! :-)

Thanks -

    -=| Ben

Ben Goodwin, Sr. Unix Analyst